The Algazit did its job ( i repeated the application 5 weeks later, so all 10 capsules went in…). Over the weeks the filament agae withered and disappeared (ending up as mucus in the Tunze, and I added a small pot-filter for extra cleaning). Still some left on the side-wall, which is fine with me and the Salarias in particular. The anemons however started to loose their color, withered and (despite efforts of the anemone fishes to cheer them up) finally completely withered. I overlooked that these form symbiosis with zoöxanthellen, cellular algae that live inside the anemon and deliver carbohydrates in return for the received protection. I guess by applying the lgazit I killed this intestinal flora as well and as a consequence starved the anemones to death…
Watervalues seemed OK by now, but the algae struggle already continues for a year, last month primarily by scrubbing of the algae with all kind of brushes.
Read http://homeaquaria.com/saltwater-algae-control-the-ultimate-guide/, and (the same but more concise) http://www.algone.com/getting-rid-of-algae-in-aquarium
I applied almost all these measures, only not yet tried phosphate and nitrate blockers.
To apply this I decided to put an extra small pot filter (Juwel Filter Bioflow One) in the tank and bought Aqua Phosphate Minus which I apply in the filter cabin inside a kind of teabag.
I have the tank for almost a year now and impatience is lurking… Since I have only polyps, anemones, fishes and snails in the tank, I decided “what the hack” and also applied 5 tablets of Tetra Algazit. The website mentioned it can be used in any tank, the leaflet suggested fresh water only. I took the risk: I still have no hard coral, so the algae are the only plants in the tank, so they are supposed to be the only ones to suffer… Let us see: the tank now looks like:
And water values:
|18 sep 16||Unit|
In graph up till now:
That hard coral started stressing yesterday, see bleaching on the photo. I had some red flap reoccuring last week, also near the foot of the coral. Wondered whether that may have caused the current stress. Decided to push it back with a treatment of Mycosidol. A bit of a long shot, but let’s see if that helps.
More or less once a week now, I clean by syphoning some 25 litres, including scrubbing or picking algae from the rocks (stopped logging them all). The watervalues are good now, and filament algae and red flap can still reoccur, but not very fast.
Anemone fishes, Shrimps ansd Saliaris are doing fine. Thought it maybe time for some more corals/polyps, as far as the space permits (anemones tend to stick on one rock so far…).
Thus I came across a tank-man in IJmuiden, André, who was selling some left over cultures via Markplaats. Went there and my eyes stand out for a really very beautifull tank! Nice guy providing lots of advice and stories. Anyhow, I collected a leather coral, a small button with some star polyps, yet another poyp, and a small peace of hard coral. The last one more or less as a trial to see if my tank is ripe enough for hard corals.
The red nipple anemone split itself into two after the first week: Laurel & Hardy. Hardy moved to the back of the same rock. Recently Hardy moved back and they are next to each other again. Clown fishes are more and more familiarizing with them (sitting in them), and less and less friendly towards me :-).
Bought one big red nipple anemone at the local petstore. One day later it became completely grey and withered (gee, there goes my 50 bucks…) but hey, next morning it was there again. Read they do this occasionally to refresh their internal water-content.
Becoming a bit stable, allthough flap reoccurred…
Syhoned reappearing red flap from the sand, with 12 liter replacement.
Bought 2 Lysmata Amboinensis (Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, poetsgarnaal) and 1 Buccinulum Corneum (Orange Spotted Turbo Snail, oranje gespikte turbo slak). The latter moved real quickly under the sand (within a minute disappeared).
The Pictichromis paccagnellae (royal dottyback, dwergzeebaars) appeared stressed after the last big clean up. After a few day he was “gone”: died and probably eaten by anemone fishes or salarias.
Syphoned (20 l) and shrubbed some of the stones again.
|Min||Max||3 nov 15||24 dec 15||12 jan 16||22 mrt 16|
Alqae coming back again. Refreshed 20 l (16%) and brushed away the algae from half the stones. Two star-polyps are a bit withering, not going completely “open”. Fish are doing fine by the way.
I started to add the second pump ( Tunze Turbelle Stream 6065 ) during night only (less noise). The first pump i directed more to the front of the tank.